Sedum bright pink Autumn colours
Sedum is a great staple perennial for any garden. It can always be relied on to add structure to any corner of the garden. Sedum starts emerging in Spring with its waxy blue green leaves sprouting. They look like pretty green rosettes, but before long the stems grow tall and spread out. The green seed heads start with tiny buds, that emerge into tiny pink flowers in late Summer/ Autumn. The pink flowers seem top heavy to the stems, though their bright pink colour is highlighted by the silvery green colour of the leaves and stems.
The flowers seem to last a long time and then start to turn a reddish pink through the Autumn and into the start of Winter. Leave the seedheads and stems through the winter and you’ll be rewarded with rusty brown, ornamental seedheads, creating interest in the borders.
Painting the Sedum
To paint the Sedum flowerhead I had to look from above. This allowed me to see the domed clumps of flowers more clearly. The silvery blue/ green waxy leaves were sprouting out below. I drew a very rough outline of the shape of the Sedum plant, to distinguish the leaves from the flowers.
Then I mixed two watercolour palettes, a pale green and a pale pink mix. I used the pale pink wash for areas of denser flowerheads, which were at the front and middle. Then using the smaller brush I painted short thin brushstrokes of paint to replicate the tiny pink flower heads. There were a lot of short brushstrokes.
Next I used the pale green watercolour mix for the leaves. I painted larger brushstrokes across the leaves, away from the flowers. I left a thin line unpainted on the main leaves to indicate a strong highlighted vein. Once the wash was dry I applied another layer.
Painting depth and definition
I made the green mix a stronger, darker hue of green and applied this to the leaves again to create definition. I used this mix to pint between the pink flowers. You could just see hints of the lower green leaves between the flowers.
Another layer of short pink brushstrokes was painted over the previous ones. This gave the flowers a stronger tone of colour. Then I used the darker green mix to paint a spiky edge around the leaves.
Finally I painted a stronger mix of pink watercolour to some of the flowers for definition. Also I made the green mix into a darker black mix and painted pale washes over the leaves for shadow.